[duxhelp] ELEKUL 55

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:56:47 -0400

Phillipe,

This message will also be of interest to others with an ELEKUL Interpoint 55
embosser.

David and I located and fixed a probable source of major formatting problems
with the way DBT drives Interpoint 55 embossers.  The problems would
presumably be worst -- and hardest to diagnose -- when using narrow paper.

For many reasons, not least the style application problem Christine Simpson
found immediately, we're working to post a "beta 6" just as soon as we can
(probably tomorrow).  This new software will at the very least improve the
Interpoint 55 support to the point where the output will be recognizable.

However, it is probable that you will need to do a bit of serial port
configuration outside of DBT to really get things working.  Within the
Windows Control Panel, use the Ports option to set the port connected to the
Interpoint 55 for 19.200 baud and Xon/Xoff (software) handshaking.  Then
install a Generic/Text-Only printer driver on that port, using the Printers
folder within the Control Panel.

Within DBT, switch to embossing through that Windows printer driver instead
of directly to COM1.

I do understand that this wasn't necessary with earlier builds of DBT, and I
apologize for the inconvenience.  I am now working on a solution for this
problem too, but I am not sure that I'll be able to finish the code, have it
reviewed and tested, and get it into DBT before we ship.  So driving the
Interpoint 55 directly through the serial port (without a Generic/Text-Only
printer driver) will likely be something that DBT 10.5 cannot do until the
first available update after 10.5.  I expect that update to be available
well before the end of the year.

In the meantime, with the corrections we've built in just now, and if you
will oblige us by setting up to emboss through a Generic/Text-Only printer
driver, I do hope that you will be getting good output soon.

Best Regards,

Peter