[duxhelp] Re: ELEKUL 55

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:38:48 -0700

Hi Philip:

With my interest in braille as it is used internationally, and the ability
to read Abrege, which is in my view, the finest system of contracted
braille, ever devised, I am troubled by the sweeping changes necessary in
European braille to make it more accessible.  I have formed a close e-mail
relationship with Christian Coudert, of Le Commission d'evolution du braille
Francais, and am aware that the commission wishes to arrive at a simplified
braille for all Francophone countries.  This I know is no easy task, and in
fact, I wonder whether French speaking countries shouldn't whole-heartedly
adopt Integrale.  Christian is a wonderful teacher.  I think I know a lot
about braille, but I have the pleasure of finding out what I don't know.

If this is going to the list, you should probably write directly to

jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx, as I am very interested in corresponding with people
from European countries and other users of non-English Braille.

Dutch, Italian and Portuguese are languages that interest me greatly since
their braille has been simplified.  With a background in linguistics, I
would love to gain access to the heavier contracted grades of braille, used
in these countries.

German presents a challenge for me, as I don't know what kind of braille is
now used there. I speak neither German nor Dutch, so the meagre documents I
have found on line, of course, I cannot read.

Thank you ever so much for answering my queries.

very Cordially

Jack Maartman
jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx