[duxhelp] Codes: [lps] and [lpr]

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:32:50 -0000

Hi Pascale and Duxusers,

In answering the following question, I thought other users
might be interested in the answer.  I am also indebted to
Warren for coming up with a good, practical example of use.

"Codes [lps] and [lpr]:
I understand what they do, but not when they can be useful.
I read the example in the Help menu, but it is not clear..."

Just to clarify, these codes cause a specific piece of text
to be forced over to a given tab position.

Suppose that we want to have a means of highlighting where
every occurrence of a specific word appears in text in a
very large document.  In print, you might make that word
bold, italic, underlined, a larger font size, or even all
four.  Easy for a sighted person to pick out at a glance.
We can emphasise the word in braille, but the braille reader
would usually have to plough through the text of whole
document.

Alternatively, you might put a character, like an asterisk
perhaps, in the right margin, and this is precisely what
DBT's approach is.  The braille reader can then quickly skim
down the right hand side of the page, and locate the line a
word appears on.

For example: (This assumes our embosser is set for a 40 cell
line)

[rm6]
When you start to look more closely at how all the many
Duxbury [lps][taa37]dxb[lpr]Codes work, they can sometimes
be tricky to understand unless you have a good example.

What we have done here is to set a right margin of 6 cells
to provide room for the text.  Since I want to use this code
to show where on the page the word "Duxbury" appears, the
codes "[lps][taa37]dxb[lpr]" basically say, "Regardless of
what text follows, put the letters dxb tabbed over, and
beginning, in column 37."  In this example, "dxb" will
appear on the second line of the paragraph.

Now that I understand this Code myself, I can see all kinds
of uses for it.  Highlighting specific items in school study
material.  Legal documents where specifics need to be
pointed out, such as where it might say in print, "Initial
here".  Work documents involving a team of people who have
different tasks to perform, where you could put people's
initials in the right margin.

I hope this explanation is clear, but as usual, if it's not,
please ask again.

All the best,

George Bell.