[duxhelp] Capitals and the Cymraeg/Welsh tables

  • From: Joe Sullivan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:26:25 -0500

George and listers,

Thanks for reminding me that Cymraeg/Welsh is now essentially like the (new) English/British tables, except of course that the main (default) language is Welsh and English is treated as a "secondary" language. That means among other things that you get full capitalization by default or when you use the [caplv3] command, and capitals are suppressed in literary (only) when you use the [caplv1] command.

On the plus side, you can now have math and computer notation within Welsh, marked up as it would be in English, and it should be translated according to the BAUK codes.

I provided only one template for Cymraeg/Welsh, and it contains the [caplv3] command in its "initial" style so you'll normally get capitals everywhere. It would be easy enough for a user to create their own "no caps in literary" template from that one, but if you judge that the no-caps option is so widely desired that it should be one of the "shipping" templates, that too would of course be easy to provide.

Speaking of templates, I have no idea how the standard French templates came to point to the English/American tables, but that would certainly make for ATROCE translation! That's a glitch in the (somewhat automated) process of generating templates that I'll fix as soon as I can, but I'm out at a trade show (CSUN) for the rest of this week so any other work, including participation on this list, will be sporadic at best. (And, as Peter mentioned and many of you are probably aware, I tend to go quiet when I'm working on translation issues anyway.)

Just for general information, our intention is to work towards removing all the "no capitals" entries from the Translation Tables menu eventually, using the [caplv...] command instead as the means of controlling capitalization. That's only been done for a few tables so far, however.

In a similar way, we eventually expect to take "contracted" vs. "uncontracted" out of the Translation Tables menu, i.e. have only one entry for a given language or regional variant and use a command (which can be embedded in the "initial" style of a template) as the means of controlling the use or non-use of contractions. Of course you have always been able to do this with any table if you use a [g1] (grade 1) command in the "initial" style or at the beginning of the file and then refrain from any [g2] switches, but this can be tricky because sometimes people want to have styles that contain [g1] ... [g2] switches in their definition. To accommodate this, I envision a "locking" grade switch that would cause subsequent ordinary grade switches to be ignored, at least until an explicit "unlock" command was given. As with capitalization, this change in approach will not affect many languages in DBT 10.6 (probably only Unified French), but it is the direction we're heading

Regards,
Joe

At 2006-03-21 04:56, duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Peter,

It might be worth having a word with Joe on this subject.

The same applies to "Cymraeg/Welsh"