[duxhelp] Re: Braille display quirk

  • From: "Caryn Navy" <caryn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:07:30 -0400

Aloha Betsy.  Yes, you have been clear.

I have made some adjustments so that the JAWS configuration file for DBT no
longer changes the setting for Braille mode (Line or Structured or
Speechbox).  But, for the tethering of braille and active cursors, here's
why I am inclined to set tethering off.  When tethering is on, the script
file is no longer able to prevent extra blank cells from appearing in the
leftmost cells on your braille display when you are reading a document.

To deal with the problem you mention about not seeing blank lines when you
read with the BrailleNote's thumb keys, I have modified my JAWS keyboard
settings for DBT so that the Next and Previous thumb keys act like the Up
and Down arrow keys on the computer's keyboard.

If you want to try this out, make a back-up copy of your existing dbtw.jcf
and dbtw.jkm files, and save the attached files in your JAWS settings\enu
directory.

You are still free to use the JAWS configuration manager to set Tethering
On.  But I prefer to set it Off in the supplied configuration file.

Cheers,
Caryn