[dungeoncrawl] Re: Tuesday morning critique

  • From: Damon Kline <damon.kline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:02:09 -0400

I absolutely love playing these guys!!  But, as John said, it has to end.
We will have other groups that can achieve this same sort of interaction, it
just takes time.

Jim, this has to be one of, if not THE, best plots you have ever DM'd.  It
has plenty of action, it is fast paced, it is complex to the point that
players and characters are surprised often and the most important
aspect...it is fun!!  I really think you are doing a tremendous job.

For my characters, Baish has been so easy to play, as he always has been.  I
can slip right into character with him and he is fun to play.  I
particularly enjoyed his interaction with Magnus last night as they seemed
to have the same attitude.  They almost compete to see who can be the most
arrogant some times.  :)  Magnus always wins.  :)

My only struggle, if you want to call it that, is Quasit at this point.
Last night Baish overshadowed Quasit, but a lot of that had to do with the
fact that I just don't know how Quasit feels about all of this.  It's weird.
On one hand, he does want power.  That is the whole reason he left
Menzoberranzan.  Males never rose to the heights of power that females did.
Shelensia left with him because she didn't follow Lolth's edicts.  However,
as time has gone on, Quasit has found himself becoming more..."good" than
neutral.  I've actually found myself forcing him to not act as good, because
I like the idea of the mysterious drow mage persona, who uses whatever means
necessary to accomplish his goals.  But, truthfully, his wife has rubbed off
on him a lot and he isn't quite the "cut-throat" that he used to be.  Then,
having a child has also softened him.  So, he's becoming more like Nadan,
which is odd because the two of them used to be at odd's all the time!  He
isn't so much becoming a follower of a deity to the point that Nadan is, but
he is becoming more in-tune with how his actions affect the world at large.
This all stems from him traveling the planes and being "taught" a lesson by
the Mad Thinker.  Ever since the world where he fought his son, he has been
different.

Well, I have to go to a meeting.  More on this later today perhaps, or
tomorrow...