[dungeoncrawl] Thursday morning thoughts

  • From: Johnathan Detrick <jdetrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Riders II <dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:23:52 -0400

    I thought last night went quite well.  I wasn't feeling 100%, and
had even considered canceling as the day wore on, but I'm glad I stuck
it out.  I felt much better after I had been there and had a lot of fun!

    I was somewhat disappointed in the fight last night, and I wanted to
explain why.  It was not because I felt Jim put us up against a foe that
was way too powerful; it was not because two of the characters died in
the first round.  I'm used to being up against powerful foes, and death
is something the game needs more of (although it was a little cruel that
Quasit and Carpathia were dumped from the frying pan into the fire, and
died without getting even one action).  In all honesty, I believe that
Magnus, Nadan, Baish, Mileena and Talosaard may have been able to take
the Black Legion if the fight had continued (although it would have been
close).  No, what bothered me about the fight was that it was probably
the last chance we would ever have to pit the Riders against the Black
Legion.
    We have been using the Black Legion pretty regularly for some time
now, and we have often crossed swords with them.  But usually, when we
fought them, it was just one or two members, or it was a party of other
adventurers and not the Riders.  We finally had a real Riders group
going up against the totality of the Black Legion and we didn't get to
see what would really happen.  Oh well.  The night was still a lot of
fun, but that's where my disappointment came from.
    Anyway, as I said last week and continue to say, Jim's plot has me
guessing.  He continues to keep things fast paced and he continues to
stir the pot.  We are going in directions I never saw coming, and that
is great.  We are also playing a party with some interesting
personalities and I like that as well.  Jim continues to surprise and
delight!