[dungeoncrawl] Re: Friday Morning Review

  • From: Johnathan Detrick <jdetrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:25:03 -0400

    Ok, I have more time.  My thoughts on Wednesday night.

    Jim is still putting together what I think will be a very
interesting adventure.  The lower-level Riders have some interesting
plots to deal with (recovering Sonya's soul and Sinjen's honor, and the
new mystery about the destiny surrounding Ilana and Kilian), and I'm
anxious to see how this group does on their own, especially with another
character added into their mix.  I found it very interesting that, just
as Kilian, Ilana, Sonya and Sinjen began to get comfortable together,
Quincy was thrown into the mix to stir things up.  Their obvious
discomfort of the newcomer was made even more pronounced by the fact
that he is a necromancer, something that bothers Kilian and Ilana quite
a bit.  While Quincy does not use undead (except Thurgal, his talking
skull) and does not seem as dark and evil as many necromancers, his
interest in death and his spell choices may still cause some
consternation about members of the group.
    It was also neat to see the beginnings of the plot for the Riders to
claim the power of godhood.  Magnus and Mylena began to draw plans, and
have decided to kidnap the Riders.  While Magnus was not fond of the
idea, he has become convinced that it is the best way, so the gods can
not be upset with the Riders for breaking their edict and coming
together.  It should be interesting to see how things shape up; if I
understand correctly, we'll be visiting this plot a little each week.
    With all of that being said, Wednesday had it's problems.  It was a
slow night, mostly filled with role-playing, but I don't think that was
the main stumbling block.  Unfortunately, I see the main problem as
being too much individual role-playing.  This is something that we did
much more often when we played on a more frequent basis, but playing
once a week, I think it's a bad idea.  Matt spent most of the night
doing absolutely nothing; it was probably 8:15 or so before he became
part of the action.
    I honestly don't think that having a night of mostly role-playing
and plot development is a problem.  It's needed at times, as every
evening can't be all-out action.  It's very enjoyable in fact, as it
gives everyone a chance to relax a little and get to know their
characters a little better.  However, I think we have to be more careful
about making sure that every player has something to do.  While short
single player role-playing scenarios are unavoidable, if they drag out
too long or become too common, I think they can take away from the
enjoyment of the game.
    That being said, I am still very excited about where Jim is going
with this.  I have spent the last two days working on my characters, and
I ready and raring to go.  Jim has some way cool plots going, and I
can't wait to get back to them!  I have some more thoughts to share on
what the players may want to do to enhance their enjoyment of the game
in a little while.