[dungeoncrawl] Alignments

  • From: Johnathan Detrick <jdetrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Riders II <dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:02:05 -0400

    As we all know, I'm not the biggest fan of alignments out there.  No
character adheres to one alignment, because no person does.  Sure, we
all have tendencies, but everybody moves up and down the alignment
scale, sometimes being more good than evil, sometimes more chaotic than
lawful.  The problem with alignment is that I fear it restrains good
role-playing, forcing players to have their characters act a certain way
to avoid an alignment shift.  And sometimes it's a role-playing crutch,
where a player just has their character act lawful good, rather than
trying to figure out what they would really do under the circumstances.
    All of that being said, I would like to try and get as wide a range
of alignments as possible for the deities.  Having all of them cluster
around one end of the spectrum tends to make the world rather lopsided.
As one of the articles that Shawn Barrick sent us stated, if you have
twice as many good deities as evil deities, why are there any evil
deities left.  While I don't propose we try and make all alignments
equal, and I certainly don't want to see us stuffing characters into
alignments that don't fit them, I think it behooves us to see where we
might be able to shift alignments in a way that don't compromise the
basic personality of the character in question.
    So you can see where I am coming from, here's a list of the
alignments we currently have, based on a rough approximation of the
deities we have been discussing.

LG:  3
NG: 3
CG: 6
LN: 1
N: 2
CN: 3
LE: 1
NE: 3
CE: 3

Good         Neutral        Evil
   12               6               7

Lawful        Neutral        Chaotic
    5                 8                 12

    The disparity between good and evil doesn't worry me nearly as much
as the chaotic nature of the world.  I'd like to see a little more law
in the world.  Just my opinion.