Re: NASA Report_compressed.pdf

  • From: Bob Thomlinson <bthomlinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dsp-ea-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:07:31 -0600

Don,
I have no doubts about the veracity of Milankovitch’s theories and the subsequent proofs arrived at from the sub-sea cores. My objection was to the article you sent which was not a verifiable piece of published science but an unsigned opinion piece. I object to cherry picking some of Milankovitch‘s conclusions, that applied to a time scale of 450,00 years, and tried to use them as some proof that explaining our current temperature changes over the last 250 years.
I had heard about the glaciation cycles relating to Milankovitch‘s theories but had not seen the National Geographic illustrations, so thank you for sharing those.

Cheers,Bob T

On Nov 4, 2022, at 10:25 AM, Donald Hoyda <donaldhoyda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Bob, There are three basic Milankovitch cycles:1.Variations in the Earth’s orbital eccentricity 2. Changes in the Earth’s axis and 3. The change in the direction of the Earth’s axis of rotationAll three of these are generally accepted drivers of natural climate change because they affect the amount of the Sun’s energy hitting the Earth. I say "generally accepted”because this is observational science unlike a scientific law that can be proven by repeated testing in a laboratory experiment. Nonetheless I think it is fair to say that the Milankovitch cycles are widely accepted in the scientific community.   I have included a chart from the August, 2010 issue of National Geographic magazine showing the cyclicity of glaciations over the past 450,000 years as measured by sea levels over that period. There have been five glaciations during that time with the peak of the last one about 18,000 years ago. Notice how all five glaciations display a consistency in terms of intensity and cyclicity. Intensity represented by an approximate 400 foot drop in sea level and cyclicity represented by a period of maximum intensity of approximately 107,000 years.Don Hoyda

On Nov 3, 2022, at 9:22 PM, Wynn Payne <wynn.payne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks DonThis certainly presents a different point of view than the current "scientific" thoughts.Wynn
On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 7:46 PM Donald Hoyda <donaldhoyda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gentlemen, Here is a NASA report on the Milankovich cycles that are known to be natural drivers of climate change.
Don Hoyda, P.Geol.

Sent from my iPad

JPEG image