[drivingpairs] Re: wcc mustang and a new yoke....

  • From: Dianne Setterington <pagan_amber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:59:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all

  That certainly gives a new meaning to carrying a spare

  When I work out how to actually post messages, i will send you all some of
mine.  I drive a pair of Friesian Stallions rising 3 and 4, but i don't compete
with them and I am from England.

  Hope to be able to speak to you all soon.

  Regards
  Dianne

kathleen conklin <conklink@xxxxxxx> wrote:

hi everyone,

it has been an amazing winter so far and i for one have taken advantage of the
warm weather. i bet i have ridden or driven just about every day in december
and january.... quite an achievement in upstate NY this time of year .

i did put the pair up for the winter because of lack of help but that doesn't
mean that i don't take them both out driving with my new WCC mustang...
http://www.pbase.com/conklink/image/72736353
as you can see agnes takes full advantage of the seats by resting her big head
whenever we aren't actually moving too fast. she can rest it there even at the
medium trot . i don't know if i would be able to hold that head up for long
myself but surely she should be used to it by now . with this setup agnes will
w/t/c both in the field and on the shoulder of the road and is getting quite
unflappable with the entire thing.

on another subject....
i am interested in using a yoke with the mustang and it didn't come with one so
i had one made locally
http://www.pbase.com/conklink/image/72845520
at
http://merlimfgco.com

i just picked it up last night so it will be spring before i use it but i
started thinking about using one from the pictures of jeanine rachu's pair
set-up and had it made using her's as a model. thank you jeanine for helping me
in my never ending quest to "get it right"... at least "right" for me and the
mules.

i don't think the yoke was a hard project for my friend joe merli but it is
totally custom for the mustang and its pole set-up. it is beautifully designed
and finished as is everything joe makes. if you live on the east coast he is a
real source of custom workmanship if you need anything done on your carriages.
right now he is on an intensive search for original early cart wheel rims that
are 1/2 round smooth metal [round hard rubber tires] to use on the 1890
something oldsmobile he is making from the original plans. it has a carriage
body [can't remember what design] and will be the 2nd 1890 -1900 era oldsmobile
he has made which will end up in the oldsmobile museum. if anyone thinks they
have rims of the type he is looking for you can contact joe at
merlimfgco@xxxxxxxxxxx

kathleen & john henry \ / & agnes de mule \ /
http://horseblanketetc.com - carriage covers & 'gator pads etc
http://john.henry.org - John Henry's home page
http://www.pbase.com/conklink/ - photo albums