[drivingpairs] Re: water hook?

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:40:54 -0400

One nice thing about this list is we are allowed to disagree!

I feel that the human touch on the reins in long-lining a horse in circles and
figure 8's can much more easily assist a horse in rebalancing itself to shift
the weight to the rear and lighten the front.

This move is something most horses do when at liberty and in a good  frame of
mind, it just becomes difficult when asked to do it:

1. In Draught

2. When performing turns

By doing it by hand you can indicate when it is required and you may also
immediately slack off in reward to the horse when it occurs...but even more
important, you  can judge when is a good time to ask for more and when to let
the horse relax and get their head together.

The days of setting the head by putting a horse in a stall for hours with a bit
and sidecheck are not over...but I feel they learn to avoid the pressure...and
in some cases pain...rather than to engage.

Now if you are driving a Shetland with a propensity for grazing whenever
possible the ADS shoudl take pity and permit some sotr of protection!

Twisted chain bits are still made, sold and purchased...should they be used?

Kenneth, I don't think that the ADS made the rule...informed horsemanship asked
fo rit.

But then I could be totally wrong...let's all talk it over.

Helen and I emailed recently, and woudl like to encourage everyoine to get back
to talking...we apologize if recent postings convering posting of off-topc
posting might intimidate any list member into being afraid to post...Kenneth
did
and you should.

--
noel jones, aago