[drivingpairs] Re: water hook?

  • From: "Kenneth H. Williams" <lonestr7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:27:56 -0500

Noel,
 From my perspective it's not that you or anybody else is wrong in the
context of venues that disallow such "outside" devices but I don't think
that a blanket statement should be made that gives the impression that
these "devices" are illegal in all venues.  Unfortunately I've run into
this among carriage drivers.  There are many different types of driving
most of which do allow use of  overchecks and sidechecks.
As to their not being used as training aids I totally disagree with
you.  Just as martingales (of all types) are used in riding horses to
help teach head set, over/side checks can be used just as effectively
within driving venues.  As I stated before, the lack of their use in
situations such as grazing while hooked or improper head movement during
a halt, can allow unsafe incidences to occur.  Should a grazing horse
raise it's head at some angle other than 180 degrees, the reins could
get caught under the end of the saft which would prevent the whip from
having complete control of the horse's head which could result in a
fatal incident.  Should a member of a pair be allowed to lower it's head
into the crab of the pole or the buckles/chains which attach the horse
to the pole, a fatal incident could also occur.  Even horses who rub
their heads could be included in this catagory.
I don't have any knowledge of over/side checks causing horses to grind
their teeth but if such a thing does occur then the trainer is
improperly using such checks.  A check should never be pulled so hard
into a horses mouth that such a reaction would occur.  Just because a
whip improperly uses over/side cheks doesn't mean that checks should be
totally discounted.
Draft horse drivers have been using checks for decades.  Just as in any
type of venue, there are many different ways of driving drafts.  Each
style of driving uses over/sidechecks differently.  As I stated earlier,
with a farm wagon the check's purpose is to keep the horses head level
so as to prevent the incidents mentioned earilier.  In hitch competition
checks are used to lift the head to a desired level for proper headset.
Neither of these situations when taught properly by it's very concept
"causes" teeth grinding.  In 15 years of such use I've never had a
"grinder".  We do not have dressage in draft driving .
My point is that checks are used properly in venues outside of ADS
events.  If ADS has determined that such "devices" are improper for it's
members then the rules must and should be obeyed but we should not
discount their use when done properly within venues not regulated by
ADS.  The tradition of check use goes back for decades.  That's why most
harness makers include a rein check in the construction of saddles/back
pads.

Ken