[drivingpairs] using the brakes

  • From: Stephanie Sher <ssher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:13:57 -0400

I have seen it stated that the brakes on a 4-wheel carriage with a pair should
do all the work of holding the carriage back.  I think it was either in Max
Pape's _The Art of Driving_ or the German National Equestrian Federation book
_Driving_, where it was stated that expecting the horses to work in breeching
would make them hard mouthed.  I was just wondering what you-all felt about
that.  I found when I used the brake constantly, that the horses kept pulling
even though we were going down hill and I was trying to hold back the carriage
with the brake and hold back the horses with the reins.  If I let the breeching
touch them before applying the brakes, then both horses go right to work in the
breeching, which they learned when they were driving single to the Meadowbrook,
and I hardly have to touch their mouths.
Stephanie
Blasted Rock Farm