[drivingpairs] Re: unhitching a stage coach

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:06:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2005 12:02:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,

From: "Lynn Pipher" <lynnp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [drivingpairs] Re: unhitching a stagecoach
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:48:43  -0500

Hardy,
Whiole we are on the topic of multiples,  a question has arisen
amongst some friends.  I had occasion today to  ride the Springfield to
Tombstone stage from Elgin, KS to Cedar Vale, KS  today.  The question of
the safest way to unhitch 4 horses from the  stagecoach.  Any comments?
Thanks!
Lynn from Sedan,  KS

Hi Lynn,
I'll jump in here. FIRST- CHECK the ADS rule book- green pages art. 85 -
sequence to unhitch/hitch a 4 in hand.  There you go...
There is 1 mistake though in the rule book- lines are ALWAYS hooked to the
bits FIRST before you do the pole straps.

OK, for those that don't have the ADS book.
 The sequence to multiples- wether its pairs or more.
 TO HOOK:-
 1. LINES - attach your lines to the bits of both horses. I run my  lines
back to the vehicle and preferably, I have another person on the  brake and the
lines in their hands during hitching.
2,  POLE STRAPS (or clevis to yoke)- loosely attach pole straps to  collars
3. TRACES- outside, outside, inside, inside  (to remove do it in  reverse)
they can't swing away from the pole this way.
4. re tighten the pole straps, to take up the slack from the traces.

TO UNHITCH:  everything in reverse- loosen pole straps, remove traces,  undo
pole straps, then lines.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (have I stated that its NEVER!) hook a horse to the
vehicle if the lines are not attached to the bits of both horses!!

Trish  Demers
Carpe Diem Farm Hackneys & Sport Horses
WEB:  http://carpediemfarm.freehomepage.com/
Try hard, win humbly, lose gracefully,  protest with dignity