[drivingpairs] Re: to shoe or not

  • From: "Diane Kastama" <dkastama@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:26:36 -0800

Well,

I'm with Merrie,  I drive on roads and ground that wear out the feet on my
horses.  When I start a green horse we just go barefoot for as long as
possible and then move to front shoes and then all 4 feet.  I know when I
need to shoe is when I still have foot left to hold a shoe.<grin>  After
about 4 weeks I have very little traction left on the shoes.  But then I can
also drive all winter and summer long.  So my show horses don't get much of
a break.  For CDE's I have the rear shoes drilled and tapped so I can put
Caulks in if I want.

I just pulled the shoes on one of my other horses for the first time in 5
years. (she is 8)  because she is no longer getting worked.  I also pulled
the shoes on my Momma horse (one of my pair) since she is due to foal in
about 6 weeks.  And she has no need for shoes while not working.

Diane Kastama
(Ramona, CA)