[drivingpairs] Re: tandem whips

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:43:04 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2006 11:04:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I can say I don't usually have to worry about him being in draft
> :-)  And when he is real lazy I just drive him single or in the pair where
> it is easier to get after him.  I haven't mastered a tandem whip yet.  Don't
> even have one yet.  Guess I better get one.!
> <
> Diane Kastama
> (Arroyo Grande - Central Coast of CA)

Most tandem drivers I see have their lashes wrapped around the shaft- not
'drapped' as is propper.  Most people just carry their whips- not me!
My leader is lazy.  I've actually gotten quite good at using my whip.  I can
cast the line out, but my biggest difficulty is catching the lash.  I can do
it when I'm not driving and just practicing....

Getting back to my story from the LA fair when i drove my tandem ponies for
the first time:
my leader sucked back and wouldn't go forward, so I took a LOOONG draw on my
whip and cast it out.(  Now mind you, I was on the rail going left track, and
there are all these people hanging on the railing watching the class...).  I
swung way out as I didn't want to hit my wheeler by mistake.  On the rebound I
hit my groom in the face with the lash and they gathered in the lash for me so
it wouldn't get wrapped up in the wheels...  This process happend a few
times, before we decided to line up prematurly...

After we lined up and backed for the judge (the back was perfect- thank
you..), the judge (Craig Kellog) commented that I had cleared the rail of
spectators, as I had hit quite a few  with my whip!  (just doing my job of
crowd
control....)

You gotta have a sense of humor about this whole tandem thing!

Trish Demers
Carpe Diem Farm
Hackneys & Sport Horses, training & lessons - driving, riding, sidesaddle,
horsemanship
Lancaster, CA           carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
Try hard, win humbly, lose gracefully, protest with dignity