[drivingpairs] tandem lines

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:28:43 EST

Thank you, Dave. Yes, I do point this out usually in my clinics, and it also
works much better for driving singles and pairs, when one gets to driving
Achenbach. Most reins are too narrow for pressing sideways and that makes the
hand
cramp. I have posted this before over the years. Anybody can try it out
easily. Just take whatever you have on your desk right now, a cell phone, a
calculator or similar object, and put it into your left hand and hold it - the
calculator - with the normal side up so you can use the calculator and hold it
between the palm of your hand and the lower three fingers (middle, ring and
pinky)
as you normally would by pressing sideways. You'll see that you have a good
and easy grip. Now turn it by 90 degrees in your hand, so that you are not
looking at the flat side anymore with the numbers, but are looking at the
narrow
side and try holding it with the same grip, and see how much harder it is for
your fingers to get a firm grip on it. The wider object is easier and better to
hold with this grip than the narrower object. Same with the reins. I hope
people can follow my explanations above. Sorry, much easier to show in person
than
here in words. I hope your calculator has a similar shape as the one I have
used right now here. Mine is  2 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick, my cellphone is 2"
wide and 3/4" thick. My demonstration works with both similarly, so the exact
dimensions don't matter, it's the principle that does, that wider holds better
than narrower :-)
Hardy