[drivingpairs] Re: slacking off

  • From: "Robert & Helen Tolmach" <rtolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:07:20 -0400

Is it ever!  The Morgan pair we drive now is typical of this problem.  The
gelding seems to be just along to enjoy the scenery. mare does most of the
work.  We've learned to keep an eye on the traces and his breast collar.
When they get floppy, either calling his name or touching him on the flank
with the whip gets him pulling again for a while.  This is not a temporary
thing.  It's been going on for several years and it's just something we've
learned to live with.  Both horses are fit, the same size and within years
of each other in age.  They get along well in harness, and although not
stalled together, he becomes extremely dependant on her presence when we
take them off together,  on a trip.  When he travels alone, he falls in love
with the first equine he sees.  Lord knows what he'd do if he gets near a
llama.  When competing alone, he's strong and willing.
If anyone on this list has any ideas on how to make him do his part (without
using a cattle prod)
while paired I'd be happy to hear them.
The problem has it's plus side.  Hardy wrote an excellent series on driving
pairs a little while back and he mentioned the best way to get a good bend
is to allow the inside horse to be the aggressor and the outside horse to
coast.  In our case with the mare inside, the gelding coasts. With the
gelding on the inside,  a touch with the whip to him and an "easy" to the
mare gets us a pretty good bend.
Bob T