[drivingpairs] putting the pair together...

  • From: Kathleen Conklin <conklink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: driving pairs pairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:15:36 -0400

hi everyone,
TODAY is the day that i am putting the 2 mules together as a pair.
i'll let you know how we all do <G>.

i am lucky to have mary and harvey waller and steve holm as friends
and mary invited me to her farm to use their equipment [war wagon]
and steve's expertise to get it done.  mary has also loaned me for as
long as i need to use it  a zilco pair harness for large equines so
i'm all set for now.

in preparation i have been riding agnes everywhere including
traffic.  i also pony her right beside john henry at the w/t/c.  she
also ponies off of the back of my cart.  yesterday we were out for
about 5-6 miles that way and she was a doll.  i do this with her
totally harnessed as well.  she would pony tied to JH but i don't
have a long shafted cart so she could get mixed up in the wheel - i
tried it.

i will hitch them today and tomorrow at waller's to a war wagon and
then after that at home [assuming success] to my older warco
wagonette.  since i bought that wagonette the pair stuff has been in
my basement in the rafters.  i never looked at it when i got it.  now
it turns out that several pieces are missing...namely the way to
attach the 2 singletrees to the front of the splinter bar.  i am
calling the bar across the front of the 5rth wheel a splinter bar
even tho it doesn't have the stubby attachment points for the traces.

i have a question... i have been told that if you have a splinter bar
and use collars you don't have to have singletrees.... any thoughts?

tally ho,
kathleen, john henry \  / & agnes \  /
http://john.henry.org
http://horseblanket.virtualave.net