[drivingpairs] Re: pushing pairs

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:27:08 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2006 12:03:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:25:11 -0400
> From: Lori Horner <redfox@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: Pushing Pairs
>
> Hi all! I don't have a solution but I have an uglier problem. My pair of
> mares will alternate between REALLY leaning into each other and REALLY
> leaning away from each other. It doesn't matter which side they are on -
> they still do both. It's like watching little kids in a pushing or
> tugging war. They lean so much it looks like they'd fall over. They do
> it in a pair and they also do it as my leaders in a four. It doesn't
> matter on trail/road conditions or what gait they're doing. They don't
> do it with any of my other horses and they are very straight when driven
> single. The easy solution would be not to have have paired together but
> they are finer built than my wheelers. Besides, I'd really like to
> figure out how to solve the problem.
> Many thanks in advance,
> Lori

I'm not sure if I missed someone else's recommendations, but on all these
pushing pairs, has anyone tried to adjust your lines?  Line adjustment can be
one
of the MOST frustrating things about driving pairs.  Sometimes the lines aren
'even' from side to side.  The book I recommended has many solutions to this
problem.  Everyone go and look at your lines, see how they are adjusted- it
may be the root of the problem.

Trish Demers
Carpe Diem Farm
Hackneys & Sport Horses, training & lessons - driving, riding, sidesaddle,
horsemanship
Lancaster, CA           carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
Try hard, win humbly, lose gracefully, protest with dignity