[drivingpairs] Re: pairs without breeching and more...

  • From: Merrie Morgan <roadrunner-ranch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:03:34 -0800

Hi Rachel,

I have not seen the pictures, but I often drive with no breaching, or
backstraps or cruppers.  It is simply for the ease of harnessing and having
less equipment to clean.  Since pair breaching is not very effective, and I
use my brakes, and I drive mostly on very flat ground, it works for
me.  The braking effect goes into the neck strap, not into the saddle and I
use the brake to try to completely control the carriage so that the ponies
do not have to.  I only use this arrangement when schooling dressage, cones
or schooling on mostly flat ground.  In a marathon or when driving over
rolling terrain I use full breaching.   I'm sure there are many cons - if
your brakes fail... but my ponies will not freak out if they get bumped by
the carriage, and once again, I use this arrangement when working on mostly
level ground.

Merrie