[drivingpairs] Re: pair reins

  • From: "Helen Roeder" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 18:27:02 -0500

<Okay,  novice piping up here.   How are Hungarian lines different than
regular pair reins?>

OK Hardy, correct me if I'm wrong.
Marjean,
"Regular pair reins" are called (or at least that's what I call them) English
style driving reins(or lines).  The coupling rein buckle, while on the horse,
is right about at the rump of the horse.  You adjust by moving that buckle.
Must get down to do this.  Can't do it from the box.  Too far away.

Hungarian lines go all the way to the box.   You hold all four lines in your
hands.   There is an adjustment buckle but it is close to your hands, either
behind, or in back depending on the size of the horses (length), carriage,
reins.   There is a small section of one rein on each side.   The shorter rein
has a loop at the end of it, where the longer rein goes through, ending in two
reins with a buckle at the end, just like other driving lines.   Lots of
leather to hold on to.   The up side is that you can easily cue each side of
each horse independently.  Down side is that it's easy to get into a mess with
so many lines in your hands.

There is a third style of reins which I've never used.  Achenbach.   I
understand that the coupling buckle is close enough to make adjustments from
the box, but you hold only two reins.   Am I right, Hardy.   I don't know if
I've ever even seen a pair of those.

Helen