[drivingpairs] pair bits

  • From: "Heidi" <hhfheidi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:19:29 -0400

Visit our our FORUM at http://drivingpairs.activeboard.com/
and our WEBSITE at www.drivingpairs.com

Hello to all,

I have a question wrt pairs bits. Currently, I am working on a father/son
pair. Dad has been driving several years now and goes very nicely in a
Mullen mouth Glory bit with swivel cheeks. Son is still in training as a
single (not hooked yet), but also seems happy ground driving in the glory.

These animals are 14.2 registered sport ponies, pinto in color. They will be
initially put to a Jeff Day marathon vehicle and eventually to a
Bird-in-Hand wagonette. I have no experience with pairs yet but plan on
taking lessons prior to hooking and driving these two. I need to learn how
to hook, handle the reins, etc. The wagonette has the yoke pole and I plan
on having a fixed pole made for the Jeff Day, as currently it is rigged for
single only.

Here is my immediate question:
        Is there a "correct" bit for this pony/vehicle combination, and if
so what are my choices? I have lots of experience with riding bits but less
so with driving bits. I've watched a few CD's and read a few books that
discuss pairs requiring fixed cheek bits with the bar under them so the
reins don't become entangled between the two animals.

Advice/guidance anyone?

Thanks,
Heidi
www.hunterhavenfarm.com

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"