[drivingpairs] Re: more tandem stuff

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:32:37 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2006 11:04:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Again, I would like to suggest Tandem drivers consider
> the Leader bars as a connection for the front horse.
> Bars allow you to shorten Leader traces, no chance of
> them dragging on the ground.

Last year, I took a private lesson with Tommy Fawcett, who came out to CA.
with Geo. Bowman to do a CAA seminar. WOW, did I have a GREAT TIME!  Tommy (who
is the european tandem Adv. CDE champ), told me when practicing, or when doing
CDE's, to use bungee cords on the leader traces (looks terrible- works
GREAT!).  Use 2 long bungees: hook one end to the leader's breast collar on the
shoulder strap, and the other end to the leader trace in between the horses (I
was
using trace extender, so I attached them at the extension).

When your leader is out of draft, the bungee will hold up the trace, and when
in draft, it extends, but still holds up the trace, and then contracts...
Try it, see if it works for you.  i do it when just driving for practice.

Trish Demers
Carpe Diem Farm
Hackneys & Sport Horses, training & lessons - driving, riding, sidesaddle,
horsemanship
Lancaster, CA           carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
Try hard, win humbly, lose gracefully, protest with dignity