[drivingpairs] introducing a new pair pony

  • From: "M. Denmark" <mdenmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:58:01 -0600

Hi All,

Well I need some help and advice from the list.  My youngest fat Fjord Pony
will soon be coming home from the driving trainer.  He has just learned to
drive single and is very green.  I hope he will be the perfect partner for
his older full brother that already drives single and most importantly
pairs.  Do most of you drive your newest potential pair pony/horse single
for a while or do you put them straight into the pairs harness? My other
pair didn't think twice about driving pairs when we first put them together
but they were a little bit older and more experienced.  So with no major
problems I didn't learn what problems to expect or avoid.  I really love
pairs as I feel so much safer when the goofy one is with the
sane/experienced pony.  Any problems/warnings/suggestions with introducing
the new guy to pairs driving and the pole?

Do you prefer breast collars or full collars for down the road, through
woods, ADT, CDE type stuff?  For those of you who prefer full collars what
is your favorite type, why do you like them, and where do you get them.  I'm
in Texas.  Right now I use Zilco coaching style harness.

What about harness when you drive 3 abreast or Unicorn?  Any suggestions on
books on harnessing?

Now here's a visual for you:  my red headed Appaloosa is being trained to
drive as we speak.  I think he will be the perfect pair mate for my light
bodied sport model brown dun Fjord.  I don't think that will qualify as a
matched pair do you?  When it happens I will post a photo-it ought to be
interesting or just really odd looking.

In very, very soggy Texas,

Milli Ann, 4 Fjords and an Appy