[drivingpairs] Re: hitching pairs

  • From: Mike & Marjean McIntyre <Tenpenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "INTERNET:drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:15:01 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I tend to do the pole straps  last when I have a suspended pole, and the=
 =

pole straps first when I have a drop  pole.  <

Granted, I have VERY little pair experience, and I am certainly not meani=
ng
anything negative by this question, but this just caught me by suprise.  =
always hooked the pole strap first.  Always.  That way if the horses
started to move off for some reason they are attached to the pole, and ar=
not draging the carriage with a loose pole slinging around.  I would be
curious to know why you wouldn't attach the pole first, but instead last.=
  =

I think I mentioned it before and it may not be practical for everyone's
situation, but when I did have a pair, it was necessary for me to beable =
hitch alone.  I put up two telephone poles like outside cross ties, a foo=
wider or so than the carriage.  I parked the carriage with the pole tip
about even with the poles.  Then I brought one out and hooked the cross t=
ie
on that side, and hooked them completely.  Then I went back in the barn a=
nd
got the other one and hitched it.  Dropped the crossties, got in and drov=
off through the poles.  It worked really well for me.    Most recently I
used them for my current horse which came very broke to drive, but very
unwilling to stand quietly to be hitched.  Much safer and I could hitch h=
im
and then just leave him in the cross ties to chill out.  He now stands li=
ke
a trooper cross tied or not.  =

Marjean =