[drivingpairs] Re: green horses in a pair

  • From: FriesianPrDriver@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:37:35 EDT

We just took our new Friesian pair to a driving clinic at the Horse Park of
NJ this past weekend.  It was a very good and safe way to introduce the
younger (greener) one to a new venue.  The clinic was held in the giant  indoor
arena, with judges booths, signs, and barrels all around the outside of  the
ring, and temporary pipe fencing across the middle to divide it in half,  with
judges booth on either side of the gap between the sides - so you had to  go
between them if you went into the "other" ring.  A cones  course was set up
outside, and you could drive it as you pleased.  With the  Friesians we just
took
the course wide and open, not asking the green  one to do any tight turns yet
(it was only her third time hooked, ever).   So, she got a taste of
everything, with her older, wiser sister to reassure her  that all was OK.
With the
ponies later, we smoked the cones  course!!  :-).

Karen  Wilkin
Star Cross Stable Friesian Horses & Sport Ponies
_www.starcrossstable.com_ (http://www.starcrossstable.com/)
47  Yellowbrook Rd.
Freehold, NJ 07728
732-919-3827