[drivingpairs] green horse in a pair

  • From: <dawnmeto@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:15:02 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

After several successful ground driving sessions, we put to the marathon
vehicle with a four year old mare and a seasoned driving horse.

The green horse really stood well and got the idea of helping pull the
carriage.

But I am not sure that I have the pole adjusted so that she is comfortable.
It is out far enough to make a v back to the breast collars with the pole
straps. But she travels with a level topline and on turns or uneven ground
she is getting bumped with the end of it in.

If I shorten the pole and bring it back so that it is at their chest that
would help alot, but I have been told that was incorrect.  We have only
driven twice and want her to like this pair experience and am wondering
what suggestions you might have.
Thank you.

Theresa