[drivingpairs] Re: good time for a minor vent  <G> Re: Sharing, on the list

  • From: N2Horsn@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:12:57 EST

Wow!   I have had that happen to me.   I trained my own Andalusian filly.
As a three year old she won the Regionals in driving.   We beat Bruce Howard.
I'm very proud of that.   Then the owner of my filly's sire was telling some
prospective breeders that HER trainer had broke my horse to drive.   That is
ridiculous.   I was so shocked that I didn't stand up for myself.
What makes a big name trainer better?   Are they really better trainers or do
they do better marketing?   I'm sure there are some of both.   Do their
assistant trainers get the credit they deserve?   I have worked for the big
name
trainers and have done all the work on certain horses before.   They took the
credit, but that's OK.   I don't need it.   I would just recommend doing a ton
of research when looking to put your horse with a trainer.   Make sure you
approve of their techniques.   Go there and watch them work with other horses.

If they won't let you watch, then they have something to hide.... run away.

I have no desire to have my name out there as a trainer.   I don't introduce
myself as such.   There is such a good word of mouth around town when people
have seen the horses I have trained that I have more business than I have time
for.   Heck, I hardly have time to work my own horses.   I am the type that
definitely shares too much information when asked a training question.

It's hard not to share the information when you love what you do and you want
to see everyone else enjoy it too.   You want to see all the horses treated
nicely, have their equipment fit well and prevent accidents.   The really hard
part for me is charging people money for training.   They all become my
friends because we are sharing a common interest.   I have to keep telling
myself
that I need to charge for my services because I have to feed the horses.

~cheers,
          Wendy
www.martiniranch.wordpress.com