[drivingpairs] Re: drivingpairs Digest V5 #42

  • From: "cdeponyz" <cdeponyz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:43:14 -0500

Note : Those not interested in tandems, scroll on past. . . .

I finally had all the perfect conditions yesterday to take the sleigh out tandem yesterday with my Section A Welsh ponies. Enough of our 17 in of Sunday snow had melted so it wasn't over their knees, it was firm enough for the sleigh to slide along, the sun was out and none of the usual freezing wind that accompanies these big snows that makes it really hard to entice any helpers to play with you ! After reminding my wheeler that 1. the sleigh wasn't broken, 2. it never had wheels and if he would keep moving it slid so much better, we hooked up his sister in the lead and tooted around the pasture.
She may turn out to be a really brave leader like her dad, she has finally figured out it's ok to be in front without shafts, in fact gets a little too much in the traces. Her brother is happy to follow her where ever, and I am sure would give her a push into water if needed !

The only thing that would have made it better was if we had had several miles of road to go down, rather than just the field, but they are too darn efficient at plowing the roads around here. Rural Vermont or Canada would have been nicer !

Same rules apply with tandem sleigh as single : try not to make any brisk and sharp turns, make sure your wheeler can sit on the breeching if needed down hills and the leader doesn't pull him on his nose by the traces ! Other than that, snow conditions are the biggest help, too deep and powdery, harder to pull.

Going to WalMart today to download the photos, having problems with my photo program at home. :(
There may be a Christmas card in this.

Dana
iin still snowy SE PA, but supposed to go up to 50 again today.