[drivingpairs] driving the home pair

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:05:47 EDT

In a message dated 7/4/2003 12:19:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Hi Hardy,
> as you are handy here, and reading emails, let me bug you a little on my
> little pair. This figure 8 exercise a the walk --that allows the driver to
> bend the inside horse wi the inside rein:  it requires that the outside
> horse drop out of draft (a bit)... my problem is that my little black mare
> is a workaholic, and when i ask the grey to step up more, her partner says
> "not without me!" (although it works beautifully in the other direction- the
> little grey would happily sit on the seat beside me, i think, with her feet
> up.)
>  I have been working them straight down the road, and making working at
> keeping them straight on the pole, and not bulging away, (as i had been
> allowing.)  This has helped improve work on circles -- but is there another
> way for me to ask for more bend from the one, yet with the other insisting
> on pulling as well?
>  I recall that the exercise worked beautifully in our clinic but I have
> been unable to reproduce it, exactly...although yesterday we were closer.
>  Thanks, Nancy in NH

Shorten the coupling rein to the workaholic one hole and lengthen the one for
the lazy one hole, thus keeping the workaholice back one hole in both reins.
Bit the workaholic soft and carefully keep him back nice and easy, don't use
your voice to make the lazy one go, but just careful your whip and put the lazy
one to work.

But congratulations that you are making progress already on the straight.
Good luck
Hardy