[drivingpairs] day 2 and THANK YOU ALL...

  • From: Kathleen Conklin <conklink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: driving pairs pairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 04:03:22 -0400

for all the "atta-mules" sent my way. <G>  the second day of hitching
was just as uneventful as the first day with the exception that agnes
got tired more quickly.  i overnighted them at jeff morse's farm
about 10 mi away so that i wouldn't have to truck them 1.5 hours back
to the barn for 3 days so they are off their routine.  i don't think
this matters to Jh but agnes is young [4] and i think that she is
feeling the stress a bit.  today, saturday, we will do our last
hitching at waller's and then i'm on my own.
see the picture of day 2...
http://www.pbase.com/conklink/image/66146491

i have learned a GREAT deal from mary and steve about the correct way
and order to hitch a pair.  today's questions from me will be in what
order do you hitch a pair by yourself.  i KNOW that we are always
supposed to have help but i almost NEVER have company [and never
helpful company] at the barn so if i don't do it by myself it isn't
going to get done.  i also believe that once you start something new
with your equine you should do it consistently many times in a row to
"set" correct responses.  i broke john henry to ride first and i rode
him EVERY DAY for about 6 months no matter the weather and still get
him out about 4x a week at a minimum.  agnes is still green broke to
ride but i get her out approx 6x a week doing something.  usually
equally riding or ponying either behind the cart or while i ride jh.
in between time they both have walk-out stalls to large paddocks that
are attached to individual pastures.  jh has a tb mare as a turnout
buddy who really likes him and agnes, who had separation anxieties,
is turned out alone but next to horses.

i hope it will work out to hitch alone and walk for miles this early
in their training.  we have done a lot of work at the trot in the
last two days but now that i know they will behave i probably will
only walk for as long as i can stand it to give agnes time build up
her muscles and stamina.  also at home i only have roads to work on
and i have to say that trotting on paved roads is one of my least
favorite things to do to my alternate equines.  at least with a
single you can work on the dirt shoulder.  jh will trot and canter on
the shoulder almost indefinitely a mm away from the edge of the
pavement and never hit the road.  it is a great thing to train them
to do.

i seem to have gone on a bit off-topic here but i want to thank you
all again for all the good wishes sent my way.  i'll let you all know
how we do today, saturday and when we get home...

tally ho,
kathleen, john henry \  / & agnes \  /
http://john.henry.org
http://horseblanket.virtualave.net