[drivingpairs] cape cart and harness

  • From: kathleen conklin <conklink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: driving pairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:20:28 -0400

hi everyone,

i am in the process of researching having made or finding a 2 wheeled pole cart
with a sliding seat for balance which is the necessary type vehicle used with a
cape cart harness. i can only transport a pair and a cart NOT a pair and a 4w
vehicle so i need this to come together. also, i really like the challenge of
"getting it right".

the use of mules [pair, 4 & 6] was traditionally correct in south africa with
the cape cart. they were used xcountry to transport everything from boer war
officers to supplies and mail - frequently at the gallop and certainly usually
at the trot even without adequate roads. this harnessing system was developed
so that pairs could travel in the bullock ruts that passed for roads in the
south africa of the time. it is considered a very safe way to harness a pair
and up to a cart.

if anyone is interesting in reading about the cape harness and carts it is
explained nicely in the book "harness" by john philipson... first published in
1882 and reprinted in 1971 by acorn press and again in england recently in
paperback.  among other carts this book shows a dog cart set up with cape cart
harness system and that is something like what i want for my mules.... nice but
informal. if anyone is interested in obtaining this book i found it on...

http://www.abebooks.com/

i have some pictures of cape carts posted here...

http://pbase.com/conklink/cape_cart

here is an excerpt from the book... "lessons from the varsity of life" that
particularly mentions a cape cart in use....
http://pinetreeweb.com/bp-varsity3-2.htm

AFRICAN BUCK SHOOTING

Talking of shooting I have a very happy memory of staying with a Boer, Bertie
 Van der Byl, at Bredasdorp down near Cape Agulhas. He had a large ostrich farm
there where there was mixed shooting and we even attempted pig-sticking on the
descendants of domestic pig which had gone wild.

On this farm there was preserved a herd of Bontebok. These were a variety of
Blesbok, which had practically become extinct in Cape Colony. My host allowed
me to shoot one as a specimen. This was an unique occasion, not only on account
of the rarity of the species but also for the manner in which we hunted them.

Van der Byl drove me in a two-wheeled Cape cart with four mules, straight away
over the veldt till we sighted the herd. When they saw us the deer started to
gallop away at full speed. Crack, crack, went the whip, and away we went at a
stretching gallop after them. It was an exhilarating chase, as we bumped over
the rough ground sometimes on one wheel, sometimes on none, I hanging on for
dear life and my driver, as keen and excited as a boy, urging his mules to do
their very best.

For a time it looked a hopeless chase, but as the herd changed their direction
and circled round, we were able to cut corners and gradually to come nearer to
them.

Two fair-sized hills loomed up in front of us side by side, and as the herd
went to the right of them Van der Byl drove to the left, and when we neared the
gap between them he shouted to me: " Now " pulled in his team, and I sprang out
just in time to get a running shot as the buck passed the opening between the
two hillocks.

By great luck my shot hit a good buck through the neck and he fell head over
heels dead. Fortunately he was quite a fine specimen.

Some years later Van der Byl moved to another farm, up in the Transvaal, taking
the herd with him, and here it lived in a large paddock.

When the Boer War came on the British troops invaded the country and, on
arrival at this farm, they shot the whole herd, seeing the chance of some good
meat.

I fear now that the Bontebok must be practically extinct.

******************************

i was actually interested enough to find out that this rare antelope was not
exterminated in the boer war but is protected in south africa...
http://www.sa-venues.com/wildlife/wildlife_bontebok.htm

this is only one instance of the cape cart being mentioned in terms of fast
travel hitched to a pair, 4 or 6 equines. i have never read about a cape cart
involved in an accident unlike the curricle but i'm sure it must have happened.

i'll keep you posted on how this project proceeds.... if anyone has any input
that might help i'm all ears <G> no pun intended <G>

kathleen & john henry \  / & agnes de mule \  /
http://horseblanket.virtualave.net/ - carriage covers & 'gator pads etc
http://john.henry.org - John Henry's home page
http://www.pbase.com/conklink/ - photo albums