[drivingpairs] breed driving

  • From: "Helen G. Roeder" <sunshinefarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:33:05 -0600

In the early 90s, when I came back from living in the NE, an active Arabian
breed-show enthusiast asked me to do a program on carriage driving.   Having
been trained in CDE and pleasure driving and not breed show driving,  I was
only happy for the opportunity to possibly get more Arabian owners to drive
their horses.   This was in a large Texas city (which shall remain nameless).
My plan was to show The Horse in Sport video on carriage driving.

Would you believe the members in attendance actually turned their chairs around
and gave their backs to the TV?   They refused to watch the video.   I was
shocked!

Breed show people are different and have their own agendas.   They sell a good
story to sell their horses, but they sure don't like to be told what to do,
even if it's right.

Would be wonderful if all breed shows had classes for multiples.   Multiple
drivers are in the minority of horse owners and we love showing off our
carriage horses.   But alas, most of the folks that 'run' these breed
organizations are not into driving.   It's their loss.

Helen G. Roeder