[drivingpairs] boots

  • From: Stephanie <ssher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:47:43 -0500

Helen wrote:

In my mind, it seems appropriate to follow these conversations about barefoot trimming with one about hoof boots. Those of you who used them on your driving horses, please take a moment and tell us about your experience using the boots. Also, please tell us which kind you use. If you've used more than one type, tell us what differences you see in them.

I only drive 2 of our 5 Icelandics, but I do use boots when both riding and driving. Only one is just tender footed and doesn't even like going out into the pasture without something on his feet. I have Swiss boots, Old Macs, and Boa boots (old style and new style). The first thing I see about them is that they fit horses with different-shaped feet. Old Macs fit round feet, and Swiss and Boas fit more oblong feet. Secondly the weight: Old Macs are heavy, almost as heavy as a steel shoe, the other two are lighter. Ease of use: Boas, either kind, are the easiest to put on and take off, by far. Old Macs are fussy, but not hard. Swiss boots need a hammer to put them on and a screwdriver to take them off. Appearance: I like the Swiss boots the most for looks; they are inobstrusive. How well they stay on: All stay on well if they fit. I do tie a piece of orange surveyor's tape to each one which looks a little odd while you're going along, but really helps if one comes off. Safety: All three of these kinds have good grip. Some other kinds don't. If the bottoms are pretty smooth they will slip on wet grass, mud and snow. Rubs: Again a matter of fit. I used the Swiss boots 24 hours a day for about 2 weeks on a horse who had lost his shoes and torn up his feet. His heel bulbs got first shiny and then started to look sore. I would have rotated varieties on him if I had had all the kinds then. I got rubs at the coronet band on two horses from the Boas. One of those horses does fine in the Old Macs, the other has not had a problem with the Boas since and the manufacturer thought it might have been dirt (I didn't have the gaiters). When I'm driving on terrain that I don't know, I use boots on all four feet. What I like about boots is that they don't have to be on all the time, and I can trim my horses more often (every 4 weeks) which keeps their feet much healthier. What I don't like about them is the extra aggravation when you just want to get out there and ride/drive, and I hate the "sloop, sloop" noice they make on the road :) Just my experience Stephanie Blasted Rock Farm