[drivingpairs] barefoot trimming

  • From: "Helen G. Roeder" <sunshinefarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:50:38 -0600

Don't know, but it seems there may be a little confusion by some about what I
mean by 'barefoot trimming'.   It refers to the new trend as opposed to the
traditional type hoof trimming.   I wasn't refering to letting the horses go
without shoes.   It's not just allowing the horse to go barefoot.   It's the
more natural style of trimming which allows the horse to use the whole foot, as
they are meant to do.

Most of my horses have been without shoes for over seven years, some longer.
They have been having hoof care, every six weeks,  by a traditional type
farrier, until very recently, when I brought in a "barefoot trimmer".    It's a
whole different world!   It was my first time to do this, and I learned so very
much about what I had been allowing the traditional farrier to do, because of
my ignorance.  "I'm always the last one to know".

Going barefoot, you'd think the hooves would be in great condition.   Not so.
It's a new technique (vs the old way) that most farriers don't know, unless
they study it, and have the inclination to use it.   I love my long time
farrier, but won't use him again after seeing what condition some of my horses'
feet are in.

Helen (still in guilt mode)