[drivingpairs] assorted

  • From: Nancy Lindley <nlindley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:10:52 -0400

Welcome to the new member - Keith -- are you from the US?  There has been a
lot of discussion on this list lately on starting tandems; you might be
interested in looking a tthe archives for last month.  There is a nice photo
of list-member Sterling driving a grey tandem in the recent Whip mag. (hey -
all you just starting up tandemaniacs - how is it going??)  when i thought
about tandem (briefly!!) all i could imagine was that my little grey mare
(aka the shark) would kick the stuffing out of a horse behind her.... Does
that ever happen???????
  Unexpected rubs: I have never even attempted plus 25 (let alone 25 miles)
but I am ery interested in what some of the distance drivers on the list
might suggest...Anybody??????
    Carriage : I have a Bird in Hand Flyer - with lots of extras, still a
little under $5000.  Nice enough to be used for more than marathon, but
still tough & handy enough for the cross country.   -- I really like this
carriage -  the one probelm it presents is that there really is no good
place for your groom to sit behind you - so in dressage & cones you have to
either ask permission for the groom to be seated beside you, or (as i do)
make the poor guy sit on the box backward  & cling on in terror.  brave of
him & amusing for spectators.
   my one problem/question is the pole, which moves a lot - certainly  a
good thing, most of the time, but over uneven ground can get bouncing up &
down excessively, so the crab flosses the horse's teeth.  Is there anyway to
limit the movement on the pole - or would that just defeat the purpose? what
about switching to a yoke up front?
   And finally ; great column Hardy!   I think litigation was  a bit of a
daring example to use, wi a lawyer in the immediate family.  :)
     Happy driving all,  Nancy in NH