[drivingpairs] Re: age

  • From: billbuk@xxxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:58:16 -0500

Reiners are competing at the age of 3 for the futurities. I bought one
that was competed at the age of 3 and burned out by the age of 9. He was
so sour, he would buck and lay back his ears. I bought him and turned him
out for a year. Now we are casually competing in judged trail rides and
he is so relaxed yet easy to ride - like power brakes and power steering.
I was told when he was in training, they would take him out of his stall,
run the *&^$ out of him for 3-5 hours - 5 days a week. He competed in
over 30 shows in one year. He won a Reserve world Championship.....or did
he. Now he is a happy horse and gets turned out every day no matter what.
I think horses need to be horses.

Thanks for the input about the minis driving. I have a two year old that
I had started on long lines. But if you think I am pushing him, I will
wait one more year. There is plenty more i can do with him. Opinions? We
only pleasure drive (team with a 4-year old gelding) on the flat. Is that
too much? I used to tie him on the back of the cart and drive around the
neighborhood (paved road with no traffic). I value your opinions. Thanks.