[drivingpairs] Re: adjusting reins

  • From: Stephanie Sher <ssher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:49:36 -0400

I adjusted my pair reins as Hardy laid out, taking Mosa, the willing pony, up a
hole to 5 and letting Flygill out a hole to 7.  It did make a very noticeable
difference!  Now that I know about the geometry, I can also do better in
keeping
Flygill in draft, since I can immediately see if the pole is beginning to drift
over to his side.  And his head wasn't pulled over to the left (he's on the
right).  This is a big improvement.  Now, anybody have advice about extending
Flygill's trot?  When I ask the ponies to trot out and touch Flygill with the
whip, once he gets to a certain speed (about 7 mph) he wants to canter.  I ask
him back with the reins and he trots, but then he isn't really extending.  Is
the answer to keep the speed down to be slow enough where he can easily trot,
or
to keep asking for more and keep checking the canter?  When he's driving single
he trots out willingly, but I'm not really sure that I'm asking for as much
speed then as Mosa is willing to give me in the pair.  Luckily with the new
rein
settings Mosa isn't getting irritated by what Flea is doing.  Thanks to you
folks' help, we're now on the right track :)
Stephanie, who realizes that she always calls her 13 hand Icelandics horses.
Blasted Rock Farm