[drivingpairs] Re: Why Achenbach/"coachman style"?

  • From: "Anne Councill" <accouncill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:28:12 -0400

Hi everyone, I usually lurk here learning as much as I can, but I do have
something to offer on this subject.
This is an issue that Dana Bright and I tackle in our Intro to Driving II
course that we teach.  Dana drives Achenbach most of the time, I come from
the show ring, great American two handed background.  There are good reasons
for each style of driving and I'm not going into that now, don't have time,
but for those who think driving two handed is easier, it's not, it only
feels better to most people when they start.
Learning Achenbach is like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the
same time and it takes time to get familiar with this new neuro-muscular
pattern.  Driving two handed is just as hard to do well because it's very
hard to overcome one's right or left handedness and become symmetrical.  It
may even be harder in some ways because that right/left bias is so
ingrained.  Start thinking about that when you drive two handed and catch
yourself getting heavier on one rein.  Also start catching your horse taking
advantage of your bias and his bias and setting you up!
Personally, I find my self switching between styles more and more often as
things change, driving a live animal is a fluid process after all.  I long
line Achenbach most of the time to free my right hand for the whip.

Anne in the glorious PA springtime

Anne Councill * Driving in Birch Hollow * Stewartstown, PA * 717.880.3840