[drivingpairs] Why Achenbach

  • From: KDougk@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:10:52 EDT

Keep in mind that to operate the brake, the reins would need to be in one
hand so a hand would be free, the same with a whip. Both being very important
in
coaching

For pairs I have found using a "bridge" works best for me in CDE. I am sure
others can describe it better but the reins are held in the left hand and the
right rein is pulled out to make a small "bridge" or short distance between the
hands so they can be held about the same distance from the bit.

I believe that the need to operate the brake and the custom of having the
reins in the left hand was the reason the whip sat on the right in England, And
thus why they passed to the right in England and thus why the English drive on
the left side.

French coaches were driven by post boys sitting on the horse. They mounted on
the left as riders do, and thus passed on the left and as result the French
drive today on the right.

Douglas Kemmerer
Middleburg, VA