[drivingpairs] Re: Who's putting a 4 together?

  • From: "Meredith Russo" <epona1004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:43:08 -0500

Just in case anyone is interested, I hope to be able to offer my services as
coach horn player by 2010!  Used to play the French horn and am now
practicing the coach horn calls so maybe I'll be good enough to grace a
coach in 4 years!
Meredith in Dartmouth MA

>> be
>> excited (NOT!) at the thoughts of another horse to feed, vet, work??  I
>> envy
>> y'all!
>>
>> Debbie

>>> partner.   Let me know how it goes.   I still think switching sides
>>> helps
>>> a lot
>>> too.
>>>
>>> ~cheers,
>>>         Wendy
>>> www.martiniranch.wordpress.com
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> From: N2Horsn@xxxxxxx
>>> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:55:26 EST
>>> Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: driving pairs vs singles
>>>
>>> Thanks for telling us about the articles was nice.   I had no idea.
>>> Good
>>> advice about bending exercises too.
>>> I think there are more topics than just the bending... like the courage
>>> they
>>> gather from a partner beside them.
>>>
>>> I think most drivers start out driving singles and then some go on to
>>> pairs.... thinking it will be more of a challenge.   They are surprised
>>> find out
>>> it is actually easier*.
>>>
>>> *Well, driving the pair is easier, but hitching is not.   Pair driving
>>> should
>>> ALWAYS be done with a groom/friend/navigator/assistant or whatever you
>>> want
>>> to call them.   If something goes wrong there should be two people (one
>>> head
>>> and one to drive) if necessary.   And it sure helps to have help when
>>> hitching.
>>>
>>> ~cheers,
>>>         Wendy
>>> www.martiniranch.wordpress.com
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> From: "Barbara Kurtz" <winddancefrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: driving pairs vs singles
>>> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:55:26 -0500
>>>
>>> I've sure enjoyed this thread.  I am very new...still just ground
>>> driving
>>> my
>>> pair until I receive my pairs harness and vehicle(which I am still
>>> looking
>>> for...small pony size).  I have already noticed how much more confident
> [...]
>>> distractions of life pass by while you stay focused on your intended
>>> destination, enjoy the journey!  ~Barbara & Nicholas Kurtz

>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> From: "Alpenland Haflingerhof" <alpenhof@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Subject: [drivingpairs] questions
>>> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:51:36 -0800

>>> ------=_NextPart_002_0022_01C71D33.DB4F1880
>>>
>>> BlankAll this discussion of single vs. double has me thinking.  It was =
>>> mentioned that horses need to be switched around and also driven single
>>> =
>>> to keep them flexible, both physically and mentally, and that they will
>>> =
>>> often lean if they're not switched.
>>>
>>> I have a team of mares who have been driven in the same configuration =
>>> pretty much exclusively since I bought them two years ago.  I am a =
>>> chicken when it comes to doing new stuff because I don't have anyone =
>>> experienced to work with.  This is the problem:  The harness that I =
>>> bought them with is a biothane draft harness which seems to fit them =
>>> perfectly according to all diagrams.  They lean (especially the right =
>>> horse) when they use this harness.  When they are hitched in the =
>>> european-style heavy wooden collar draft harness that I use for parades,
>>> =
>>> they don't lean.  Last summer, in desperation, I loaded the team up and
>>> =
>>> drove them 6 hours to a friends' house in Port Angeles and she, my =
>>> husband, a friend of hers and I worked the team for two or three days in
>>> =
>>> the biothane harness.  When hitched with my harness to her carriage, the
>>> =
>>> right horse leaned so badly that I was frightened she would fall, and =
>>> the only thing that helped was to finally switch them.  We tried =
>>> everything else..  It didn't seem a bad habit as much as it seemed like
>>> =
>>> a hardware issue.
>>>
>>> My question is, why would they lean in the one harness and not in the =
>>> other? =20
>>>
>>> My intention is to switch them (now that I know what to expect) and also
>>> =
>>> try to drive them single next summer.  I intend to switch them around =
>>> and also drive them with different horses to make them more =
>>> independent/flexible.  I hope this will all have a positive effect.  I =
>>> also am going to fly to Florida in February to work with another lady =
>>> who drives, and her trainer, so that I can learn more about harness fit
>>> =
>>> and the dynamics of draft.  I figure, the more I learn the better!
>>>
>>> Any comments or advice would be very welcome!
>>>
>>> Heidi in snowy Leavenworth=20
>>>

>>> ------=_NextPart_002_0022_01C71D33.DB4F1880
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>>> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE id=3DridTitle>Blank</TITLE>
>>> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
>>> href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
>>> Shared\Stationery\">
>>> <STYLE>BODY {
>>> MARGIN-TOP: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; COLOR: #000000; =
>>> FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica
>>> }
>>> P.msoNormal {
>>> MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; =
>>> FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
>>> }
>>> LI.msoNormal {
>>> MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; =
>>> FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
>>> }
>>> </STYLE>
>>>
>>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.5730.11" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
>>> <BODY id=3DridBody bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
>>> background=3Dcid:001f01c71d76$e9725880$6401a8c0@D4TY0541>
>>> <DIV>All this discussion of single vs. double has me thinking.&nbsp; It
>>> =
>>> was=20
>>> mentioned that horses need to be switched around and also driven single
>>> =
>>> to keep=20
>>> them flexible, both physically and mentally, and that they will often =
>>> lean if=20
>>> they're not switched.</DIV>
>>> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>>> <DIV>I have a team of mares who have been driven in the same =
>>> configuration=20
>>> pretty much exclusively since I bought them two years ago.&nbsp; I am a
>>> =
>>> chicken=20
>>> when it comes to doing new stuff because I don't have anyone experienced
>>> =
>>> to work=20
>>> with.&nbsp; This is the problem:&nbsp; The harness that I bought them =
>>> with is a=20
>>> biothane draft harness which seems to fit them perfectly according to =
>>> all=20
>>> diagrams.&nbsp; They lean (especially the right horse) when they use =
>>> this=20