[drivingpairs] We Can Drive!!

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:37:02 -0800 (PST)

Finally, the IMPROVED weather has arrived HERE!
Mid-fifties yesterday, the same or better today and
just maybe again tomorrow.  We got the four out, and
after an hour of just minimal mud chipping, we went
out.  Down the road for about 2 1/2 miles, and back.
Not very fit yet.  Horses started out a little tall,
but after some trotting they were paying attention
pretty closely.  What a GREAT day, no wind, mild air.
Sure funny to be only wearing sweatshirts, with 4-6
inches of snow laying on the ground!  I guess our
blood has thickened so much from the bitter weather,
that we truly were not cold at all.  What kind of sick
thinking is that?  Really warm at 55F?

Anyway it was lovely out, listening to the four
trotting together, bird songs from the road bushes.
We saw several robins, and red-winged blackbirds,
along with a string of Blue Herons.  Hope they find
something to eat.  Still ice in the ground, down about
four and a half feet.  Top three inches of dirt are
slimy mud.  Saw some new calves in the hay pile at the
neighbors house.  Just going over the river and coming
back, we could see the water had risen, and the
ditches were filling.  Amazing what some sunshine will
do.
  Today started out terribly foggy, with hot and cold
air meeting.  It has since burned off, leaving a
cloudless sky.  However we are all wearing our high
top muck boots, snow has a deep layer of water under
it!!  Boot-sucking season has arrived!  Tall tops
allow the extra 2 seconds of balance to try getting
foot back into boot before you have to put sock foot
down into mud.  Short boots get pulled off too fast!
  We may try washing horses if weather holds.   They
sweated foam and were filthy when we got home.  With
before and after grooming, shedding, we had enough
hair for a medium size pony on the aisle floor.  And
they are not done YET.  The hair blowing back off them
as we trotted, prevented anyone from smiling, sticks
on your lips.  Makes you talk with your lips closed.
BLAHHH.
  It is NOW the beginning of the season for fitness.
Have to see if the weather will keep cooperating.
Hope you are having as nice a weekend as we are.

Kathy Robertson