[drivingpairs] Warm Day

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:58:25 -0800 (PST)

Wah-Hoo, 40F outside!!  Husband got a break in his
day, took the Team out.  Didn't ask much of them, just
went to the corner and back, a couple miles.  Totally
unfit.  He said they were just full of it, bouncy!
Probably was a combination of solid footing, warm air,
and not being harnessed for a few months.  They
listened, but were going on tippy toe, dancing in
place!  His hadns got tired really fast.
  I only had one coat on to do chores this morning.
Supposed to get some more warm days, even saw liquid
ditch water by the road!!

  Have worked the new horse a bit on long lines, he is
sure tired of stall rest.  Leg is coming along, cut
just looks terrible, not lame at all.  Filling in
well.  Bandage won't stay in place when moving around,
so not allowed turnout.
  Funny what he reacts to, I think he just uses things
as excuses to be excited.  Plastic bags got him
yesterday.  We had to use some bagged shaving when we
ran out of sawdust. He just jumped, got very flat
against the wall, when son shook the rattly bag for
the last few shavings.  Good excuse for a bag rubdown,
and he did accept it!  Big nothing when we came back
with bag today.  Also was big nothing last Fall, when
I did this same bag thing, several times, different
barnyard location.
  The colt, 2yrs, had absolutely no reaction after
sniffing the bag.  Got the rubdown, walked on bag,
nothing.  We think that one is going to be a real good
horse.  He is easy like that with almost everything,
so was his mom.  Difference in those you buy or raise
yourself.
  The third one of the young horses is being quite
friendly, would like some work.  Bored I think.  Just
been too cold and bad ground, to do any training.
Days are getting longer too, so hope to get him going
again soon.

Hope some of the warm is reaching you other folks too.

Kathy Robertson