[drivingpairs] WEG

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 15:13:43 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2005 11:04:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The news of the World Equestrian games is very exciting indeed

I posted on CD-L what it means for driving:

The WEG 2010 in Kentucky will include the Four-in-Hand Driving World
Championship: So far at each Driving World Championship (for horses) each
nation was
allowed to enter three drivers as the National Team, and the host country
always was allowed to enter six more drivers competing as individuals. (There
was
some talk
about a possible change in that, but as far as I know, nothing hasn't
happened
yet in that respect). So that would mean we would be able to enter nine
four-in-hands !

I can think of only six advanced four-in-hand drivers in our country at this
time: Chester Weber, Tucker Johnson, Jimmy Fairclough, Bill Long, Jim
Richards, and Gary Stover. Did I forget anybody? Perhaps Sem Groenewood could
gear up again? So that still leaves a few open spots! So you Four-in-Hand
drivers now
on the Prelim. level,  (Brian Robertson, Mary Ruth Marks, and Tom O'Carrol
come to my mind, and David Saunders, Sharon Chesson, Keady Cadwell as well as

Linda Kennard drove a team for a while too, as did Mike McLennan and Allan
Aulson) as well as those still thinking about it, or perhaps some of the many
teams
which are Coaching might want to think about crossing over to CDE's, or some
of our Pony Teams might think of getting a team of horses for that? Or some
of
our Tandem drivers (Sterling Graburn?)  Here is the chance and the challenge.

You have five years to put it together, but it is not easy and takes some
time, so the earlier you start, the better. It will be exciting and a big
boost
for Four-in-Hand driving in our country.  Let's hope that many of the
Europeans
will be able to come over as well.
Hardy