[drivingpairs] VBG - tandem is still a tandem and just stuff

  • From: Bearcove1@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:57:20 EDT

Hi all,

Jay made my day with a big GRIN.  I have loved and laughed and taken
seriously all the talk on terminolgy....and have agreed with all of it -
especially on where you are and talking with....hopefully WIth not TO.

I haven't made much progress with my two new Haflingers - not their fault -
mine - as I have been slow with trying much.  I'm still at the ground driving
stage...and trying to really learn personalities...they are coming 3 and 4 in
May and still definitely teething.so even the ground driving right now is
just in halters...single.

Has anyone ever ground driven a young pair in just halters?  I have an indoor
arena that they love  to be in and are not spooky in.  This pair seems to be
very willing and I want to keep them that way.

The only problem I've had so far is the younger one hates getting shots and
REALLY FIGHTS it. Has anyone ever used "COMPOSE" to calm their horses?
They've had all their spring shots so aren't due again until fall - so I have
some time to figure out what to do.  The vet thought maybe the alcohol smell
helped to wind him up so I have been putting alcohol on a cotton ball and
rubbing his neck when I feed - with no reaction - he even licks my fingers
that are still damp with the alcohol.  I just want to make sure
no one gets hurt next time shots are due.  It was a close call last time.

I love hearing from all of you - thanks!

Lyn in Indy