[drivingpairs] Time to give up

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:06:52 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/2005 12:02:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Are you tensing up and worrying how bad Flygill will react?
> >
> I have to admit to this too.  I've lost my confidence in him as a
> driving horse.

As long as you don't have confidence in him, how can he have confidence in
you and your leadership?
You MUST be a confident leader, you are responsible not only for yourself but
also for your horses.
You must only do with horses things that you are confident you can handle. I
know that's easier said than done, but I do think it is VERY important and the
lack of that makes for bad leadership, and bad leadership makes the horses do
what they think is right - as they have to look out for themselves if they
can't have the confience that their leader will do so for them - and that is
the
base for a lot of bad stuff happening then. It's the road to failure and
accidents. So if you don't have confidence in him, then don't drive him. Again,
know easier said then done, but the same does also apply to training
youngsters. One can only do the next step when one is confident that the horse
is ready
for it and will handle it well.
Hardy (just see AL's post saying much of the same and Merrie's. I very much
agree with both)