[drivingpairs] Re: Time to give up?

  • From: Albert Seminatore <alsemus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:41:38 -0700 (PDT)

In my humble opinion the short answer to your question
is --  I'm not sure you've gotten started yet!

Let's look at it throught the horses eyes.
You take me out for a drive outback and around my
pasture.  I'm very familiar with the land and there
are no noises I haven't heard before.  BUT
But when we go out on the real black hard ground that
jars my legs and I hear different sounds it is a
little unneving.  THen this loud sound starts comming
and pretty soon this big box passes me with a blast of
air that nearly knocks me off my feet with sounds I
never heard before.  I know if I am to survive this
mess I had best get going and when I do you get scared
but thats OK I'll take you to safety.  And after its
gone all is normal.

So if that is his 'view' of life then I must TEACH him
all sounds aren't bad.  I can do some of this by
playing with him in a familiar safe round pen/arena
area.  I will use whips, plastic bags and any thing
scary I can get and play tag with him.  If I touch him
I win, if he gets by me he wins.  I will do this VERY
controlled so that he understands I ALWAYS have
control of the monster.  That the monster will always
obey me and never hurt him.  I won't push the game
until he is scared.

Next I would start long line driving with the same
type of toys!  (There is a reason why prof. trainers
showing EP horses use fire extinguishers, rattles and
other noise makers.  It is NOT to scare or hurt the
horse)  I would introduce each toy carefully so the
horse isn't afarid but understands I still have
control.  When he ggets scared I go to the horses head
with one line wrapped around the hindquarters and I
lecture that noise scary thing until it backs away
from the horse and the horse is protected by me
because I'm infront of him.

Once he trusts me to listen to me in a controlled
environment then we head for the scary places.  I pick
them so that when the noise occurrs I can exit the
road and stop until it passes.  Each time we face the
monster and whenever possible I or my footman is at
their head.

In the end I have convinced him I am dominant,
protective and trust worthy.  I will never betray him
on these points.  But then I will have a partner whe
next time will ask if he should run to protect me!

So get started be willing to do lots of controlled
environment work on the ground with very quite
disciplined fun drives ( Fun = Horse likes the drive
not people)
.........................  Al

> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:41:54 -0400
> From: Stephanie <ssher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [drivingpairs] Time to give up?
>
> Two summers ago my pair bolted downhill at a gallop
> when a large empty
> semi came bouncing over a hill behind us on a small
> country road  We
> managed to get out of the situation without a wreck,
> but Flygill, the
> inside horse, was very unnerved.  It was he who
> spooked initially.  I
> spent all last summer riding him, and driving him
> single, taking him
> around large equipment working.  I even had my
> husband pass us over and
> over with our trailer, working up to a high speed
> with the partition
> banging.  Flygill was controllable, but never got
> over acting very
> nervous and springing forward for a stride or two.
> Would you say that
> if he were going to improve enough to be returned to
> the pair, that it
> would have happened by now?   My goal for the pair
> is to be able to take
> non-riding guests on a nice carriage ride, but the
> only place we can
> drive is on the road, albeit quiet country roads
> (usually).  Time to
> look for another horse for the pair?
> Stephanie
> Blasted Rock Farm