[drivingpairs] The Breeching/Britching Rule - THANKS

  • From: Jan Tobey <mars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:22:58 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to all of you who responded.  YES, I have taken a pro-active approach
with AMHR (and also AMHA on their new rule for 2006) on either dropping the
rein-back requirement or the no britching requirement.

  For those of you who show in the AMHR/ASPC shows in Oklahoma and Texas, the
Fine Harness Class - Pairs or More is offered at each and every MHPBO
(Miniature Horse and Pony Breeders of Oklahoma) Club show, at the Area 5 Show
and also at the AMHR Nationals.  I must say that I have shown in these classes
and have left the breeching on my wheel horses and have only had one fellow
exhibitor threaten to protest my use of it - once.  They didn't because they
won the class with full collars on all four horses and using hames with the
"twist-off" tops (the convertable type that are essentially full hames) - but
no breeching.  His wheelers did manage to push the carriage backwards using the
saddles!

  My concern and reason for posting was to get everyone's thoughts on the
safety issue.  For this, I thank you, one and all.  I will keep everyone posted
if I hear back from the Registry.